Friday 30 January 2015

Layer#23 Mark making, homemade style!

Today I really felt the urge to extend the arc that was appearing across the canvas.  It almost looks like a huge whirl of crazy paint that is literally engulfing the layer below just in the same way as a wave crashes in a torrent of white foam.

I have been quite expensive with this layer, creating my own mark making tools which includes a piece of cardboard that I used in the same way I would use a spatula, smearing and scraping the paint across the canvas.

I then used the wrong end of a paint brush to scratch into the think paint, creating interesting marks and texture.

It was then time for a contrast so I dipped a piece of string into some white gesso and proceeded to slap the canvas with the string. It left some beautiful strong marks all with a lovely curve to them.

I finished by using my fingers to splatter and spray the remaining white gesso (mixed with water) over the slapped areas.

I really enjoyed painting in this way, it made me feel really free and expressive, somehow coming away from it newly light hearted.

No comments:

Post a Comment