Sunday 25 January 2015

Layer#20 Line quality

Having stripped back to quite a plain canvas I felt this was a good opportunity to stick with monochrome and add detail using different qualities of line.

I chose a colouring pencil, a charcoal stick, a biro and some heavy body acrylic paint- all black in colour to really differentiate between the mediums.

There were some surprising results. A combination of both fine and delicate lines with bold and chunky expressive marks creates a really beautiful and elegant combination that I think would work well as the finishing touches to a painting not just to add interesting detail to yet another layer as I have done here.

The biro created whirly swirly marks that are quite similar to handwriting but look so beautiful peaking out from behind the sporadic dark marks of the heavy acrylic.  The charcoal can smudge and blur as well as create gorgeous crisp lines as the pencil leaves a ghost like streak along side.

I think what I love most about these lines is the overall effect, how they seem to compliment one another to create something far more beautiful than each would individually.

No comments:

Post a Comment